Friday, February 17, 2012

Where do my students go when they leave the room?

Do you keep documentation of who leaves the room and when?
Do you record when they come back?
Do you have any idea why this would be such an issue?

Some upper elementary teachers may have a need to keep up with this, but middle school and high school teachers should especially keep up with our kiddos' ventures from the classroom!

You see, some darlings like to amble about the halls, some waving into other classrooms, some ending up in the restroom when they should've been in the library checking out those books, or maybe some should be headed to the office and decided to make a pit stop somewhere else! Plus, if you are in a large school like I am, there are tons of places to go!

What happens next? You are asked where your student was and why he/she was not where you thought-- Or maybe, a fight breaks out in the restroom (unfortunately, it's a reality) and principals have to narrow down students to question---if they ever are able to get to the bottom of the situations! So, they need your help and you would be able to provide it this way.

That's when the Sign Out/In Sheet becomes a golden tool! You are able to provide sufficient documentation that a student was in fact in a designated area between the times of 9:00-9:08 or that the student blamed was back before the time projected on the hall cameras....either way, having this information recorded can be of great value to you, the students, administrators, etc.

We just never know!
So, download this free template I created this week (I ran out of copies of my old one, and imagine this---I couldn't find the template anywhere)! You can post it on the inside of your classroom door! Attach a pen/pencil next to it! Students do not think of leaving my room before signing out, and, of course, signing back in upon return!
Have a great weekend and holiday Monday (if you're off..)!!
ALSO: IF YOU HAVE A FREE PRODUCT TO SHARE, HOP OVER TO TEACHING BLOG ADDICT AND LINK IT UP ON THEIR BLOG! 
OR--DROP BY TBA TO FIND MORE FREEBIES THERE FOR FREEBIE FRIDAY!

3 comments:

  1. Talk about timing...I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I only teach first graders in a teeny tiny K/1 school. My kids use a hand signal for bathroom and drink and I swear, I think I just nod without even realizing it these days ESPECIALLY if they signal when I'm meeting with reading groups. Also, we have lots of drills and I find that while I "know" where my kiddos are, one can easily slip my immediate recollection. I have a few frequent flyers to nurse as well. I think keeping track of everyone's whereabouts is a good thing and provides documentation you may need, too. Now I need to think of a simple (FAST!) way to do this with my firsties. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! You crack me up and I feel like I understand you entirely!! :)

      Delete
  2. OH...and while I would love to use your freebie which is great, I think a check-off system might be needed for my kids. Some of them would take forever to simply write their name. So, I'm thinking...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! Let me know you stopped by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...