Saturday, February 04, 2012

The Power of Unexpected Words...

      As a middle school teacher, there are always days when I wonder if I am doing things right. Sometimes, I wonder what I can do to get someone interested in reading. How can I get them not to think of English as the most boring subject? Lol. Then, there are school years when that certain student likes to be the center of attention or show complete disrespect, just to do it. Those times truly get me down. I know I have dwelled on a moment (or several) like that and let it eat me up sometimes! 
      Not this year---I have had the best group of students this year...probably the best of all my years in middle school. That is not to say that I haven't had a "bad" day at school, because this week was a little trying. As it happens at times, I let a student get under my skin this week; I can't help it. I'm ultra sensitive and take it to heart when students are disrespectful. 
      However, and I'm getting to the point of my post, all of the negative/blue feelings I'd held onto this week washed away with just a few kind words. As I was checking emails this morning, I opened an email from a parent that simply wanted to tell me, "You Rock!" She thanked me for doing so much for her child this year. Because of me, her child enjoys reading again; because of me, her child enjoys English. The email said a bit more, all great things, but you get the point!
      In addition, I had a student leave me a note today to tell me how much she loved my class, and how she wished I could teach her every year until she finished school. :) She said I made English fun, and she was glad to have a teacher that cared about her students. 
      When a teacher realizes he/she has had such a positive impact on a child, it does wonders for the soul---at least it does for mine. These two simple notes made my day today! Two simple notes to say, "You rock!" and "You are my favorite teacher" made me smile inside and out all day! Obviously, I'm still smiling about it because it is 12:23 a.m. and I felt the need to share this post!
      I wanted to share this with you, also, to remind us all of the power that words have. Hurtful words can truly hurt. But, kind words can make the difference in someone's day, week, life...we never know how strong of an impact words can have! 
      As a teacher, it feels great to know I'm appreciated and that my students enjoy my class because of me! Knowing that I have had a positive impact on my students (at least 2 this week..lol..) is what makes me so very glad to be a teacher! 
      So, remember the power of your words! A few simple kind words do have a tremendous impact on a person, especially when it comes out of the blue!
      Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ann Marie! It is great to be reminded how much our words affect our students. Like you said, it is so nice to get some positive feedback when our week (or most of the school year!) has been "lacking" with a certain class (or 2 or 3). This morning I ran into a former student and she proceded to tell me how much she misses me and my English class and how her current teacher doesn't really get her or appreciate her. That made me feel great (but bad for my student)... I have had a few also ask me to come with them to high school so I could continue to teach them! :) I love middle schoolers and need that reminder to speak kindly and encourage them - even when they rub me the wrong way! Thanks for your post and for all you do for your fellow teachers! <3 Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andie,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to visit and read! Glad you enjoyed it! And, thank you for the nice words!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are having a much better experience this year :) Words ARE very powerful!!!! I find myself being VERY sarcastic with my middle schoolers and have to remind myself they need to hear a good word from me too every so often :) It's a tough age!!!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, definitely a tough age!! I've thoroughly enjoyed it though. Thank you for reading and visiting!!
      Be well!

      Delete

I love reading comments! Let me know you stopped by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...