Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Get to Know This TpT Teacher Author...


Krystal Mills

What grade level(s) and/or subject(s) are you currently teaching? What grade levels have you taught prior to this year?   I have taught grades 6-9, and I currently teach grade 7.

If currently in the classroom, how long have you been teaching? If not still in classroom, how long did you teach?            I have been teaching for 5 years.

When did you join Teachers Pay Teachers as a Seller? What made you decide to become a seller?    
I joined TpT in February, 2011 as a "premium" seller when I was on maternity leave with my second child. I had bought from the site before and I loved the idea of being able to make a little extra income by selling the resources that I was already making for my own students. I appreciated the time that I was able to save by having other teachers create and sell their resources and I wanted to be a part of the action too!

There were two sides to the whole thing - the potential income side (Deanna's story was very inspiring) and the sharing with colleagues side which I was equally excited about. I knew Deanna's story wasn't typical, but it was possible - you just never know!

One piece of advice you can give to a beginning teacher & one piece for a veteran teacher:     
Here are 3 things:
1) Get to know your students. Period. If you don't have the time - make it. This one is non-negotiable.
2) Don't under-estimate the power of a well thought-out seating arrangement.
3) Never let fear stop you from trying something new. 

Something unique about you both as a teacher and outside of the classroom:
            I don't know if this is unique or typical of teachers, but I always feel as though I'm not doing enough for some of my students. There's always someone else who needs something adapted, or modified. I have students - as we all do, who are on special educational plans. Keeping those students feeling good about what they are able to do, feeling as though they belong, and trying to have them see some success can be a huge challenge. I know that I do all that I can, but sometimes I do get down on myself that I'm just not doing enough to help certain students.         
            How do I deal with stresses like these? Kettlebell, running, kickboxing, Zumba - I try to do something physical when I can. Again, a challenge when trying to balance the whole school/family life - but important!



What other bio information would you like to share?
            I'm one of those sellers from north of the border. I live in Prince Edward Island - smallest province in Canada and I love it. I have 2 boys - 1 and 4years old and am married to a wonderful man who thinks that I have a terrible addiction to TpT (toiletpaper - as he calls it;). He's not wrong, though.
            Some random facts about me: I watch too much tv, I think I'm made up of about 75% coffee most days, and the "middle years" were the one grade level I swore I'd never teach. I trained to teach grades 1-6. The first job that popped up in my area was in grade 9 and I went for it. I got the job and have been teaching at the grade 6-9 level ever since. It turns out that my sarcastic nature, sense of humor and ability to ignore eye rolls, serve me well at this age level and I couldn't be happier. The moral fo the story - I know of what I speak...don't let your fear of something stop you from doing it, because you just NEVER know.

Are there any other sites you’d like posted for others to access?
            The resource that I linked you to is one of my best selling. It states that it's for "Back to School" however, it can be used at other times during the year. Especially if you're feeling like you don't really know your kids yet OR you'd like to build some community in your room - you may be interested in having a look. Also, new teachers who begin contracts mid-year may particularly find it useful.            
            Thanks so much and happy teaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! Let me know you stopped by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...