Sunday, March 25, 2012

Innovative TpT Teacher-Author You Should Get to Know...

Laura Candler of Corkboard Connections

What grade level(s) and/or subject(s) are you currently teaching? What grade levels have you taught prior to this year?        
I'm currently retired, but I used to teach 4th and 5th grade.

If currently in the classroom, how long have you been teaching? If not still in classroom, how long did you teach?                 
I taught for 30 years!

When did you join Teachers Pay Teachers as a Seller? What made you decide to become a seller?
         I joined TpT after I was already selling ebooks and materials from my own website. I guess I joined up out of curiosity and because it seemed so easy. I was fascinated with it right from the start!
         I was amazed at what was now available to teachers to help them sell their lessons easily because it was so much work for me to set up my own website, figure out how to install a shopping cart on it, create a newsletter, and so on. I immediately saw the benefits of TpT and became a premium seller right away.
         Someone else created the site, someone else was sending out newsletters and marketing the materials, someone else was handling the payments. Wow! What an opportunity for teachers to easily start selling their own materials online!

One piece of advice you can give to a beginning teacher & one piece for a veteran teacher:
         I would advise a beginning teacher to find teachers at your school who have a passion for teaching and spend as much time with them as possible. Stay away from negative grumblers and find people who face the daily challenges with a smile. Don't get frustrated and overwhelmed the first year; just tackle what you can handle and do what you can. The next year is so much easier!
         The advice I would give a veteran teacher is to throw out your old lesson plans from last year and be willing to do things differently every year. You've got to keep up with new technologies and always seek to improve yourself and grow as a teacher. If you ever get to a point where you are not happy with your teaching situation, either change schools or change grade levels to give yourself a new challenge. If that doesn't help, maybe it's time to move on to something else. Every child deserves a happy, caring teacher, and if you are no longer happy in the classroom, go where your passion is leading you!

Something unique about you both as a teacher and outside of the classroom:
         What was unique about me as a teacher? I guess that would be my ability to quickly and easily create engaging lessons for my students that challenged them on many levels. I loved a bit of chaos in the classroom as long as things were getting accomplished and we were learning and having fun. Also, as a teacher I prefer to dress really casually and comfortably. I would have worn jeans every day if allowed to do so!
         Outside of the classroom, I enjoy outdoor activities like snowshoeing, hiking and kayaking. I'm happiest when I'm outside enjoying nature, challenging myself physically in some way.

TpT Store Link:


If you like, please leave a link to one of your best selling products here:

What other bio information would you like to share?
         I was born in New Hampshire but moved to the south over 35 years ago. I now live in North Carolina. I have been married to the same wonderful guy for 30 years and we have two terrific daughters. I attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for my undergraduate degree and UNC Pembroke for my Elementary Ed Masters. I earned National Board Certification in one of the first few years it was offered and became recertified about 5 years ago.
         I have written 5 books for Kagan and was a trainer for his company for a short while. I recently published another print book, Power Reading Workshop, and I'm excited about the results teachers are getting with that program. 
         I guess my biggest accomplishment was being awarded a Milken Family Foundation Award back in 2000 - it came with a $25,000 cash award that wasn't earmarked for the classroom!

Are there any other sites you’d like posted for others to access?
        Web Site: http://www.lauracandler.com  

        Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/lauracandler

        Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lauracandler
___________________________________________________________
LAURA CANDLER, THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US!!  
If you are a TpT Teacher-Author and would like to be featured on Innovative Connections, I love to have you!! I'm always seeking Innovative Teachers with fabulous materials and information to share with others! Just fill out the entry form link under my tabs at the top of this blog! 
Regards,


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! Let me know you stopped by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...